REVIEW: Montage Laguna Beach
The Montage is one of those hotels I’ve grouped into “wedding hotels” of Laguna Beach – alongside the The Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel and the The Monarch Beach Resort in Dana Point. They’re all relatively close to each other, within a few miles, and they all have very similar features – grand entrances and public spaces, large pools with lots of chairs to lay out in, wedding-ready venues within the properties, and very similarly styled rooms that won’t offend anyone.
These aren’t the types of hotels i’d normally recommend when traveling – because I feel that there are so many different options out there to spend your money at and my personal preferences skew towards the unique. However, between the three I would recommend the Montage or the Ritz. Why you ask? The Montage and Ritz both have a bit more character than the Monarch Beach. They feel like they have a bit more soul and offer something slightly different than the standard large beachside resort. That being said, you really can’t go wrong with any one of these hotels.
The best part of the Montage Laguna Beach is the separate standing restaurant the Studio. It’s got incredible fare and the view during sunset is outstanding, if you stay at the Montage (or if you’re around the Montage Laguna) I highly recommend visiting the Studio.
- Grounds are incredibly beautiful, and the restaurant “The Studio” is a great place to check out
- Location is superb, within walking distance of Laguna Beach shops
- Service is impeccable, on par with the Ritz in Laguna and slightly better than the Monarch Beach
- The decor, although classic, is slightly bland
- The pool area and cabanas can be pretty crowded on weekends when the hotel is full
- Ask for a room further away from the lobby in order to gain more privacy. The hotel has some more secluded wings which are great for a romantic getaway
OTHER THINGS IN THE AREA:
- Who doesn’t like ice cream? Or its Italian brethren – Gelato? One of my favorite spots down the street from the Montage is Gelato Paradiso. Take a walk, grab some ice cream, and enjoy the quaintness that is Laguna Beach