So how do you go from your normal room to that upgrade? Well there’s quite a few ways to do it! Here are my secrets that i’ve used in the past.
- It is always better to check in REALLY LATE – This is how it works, if you check in very late, many times the rooms will have already been allocated and the hotel will know its inventory for that day and for the next. Cancellations will also have been logged in.
- ALWAYS REGISTER FOR MEMBERSHIP REWARDS – If you are not part of the program of a particular hotel chain, be sure to register ahead of time. Then when you arrive at the front desk, let the manager know that you recently registered and are a new member of X (pick your hotel group), and that you are looking to learn more about the benefits of moving your business over to the new group. Ie: “I am a longtime member of Marriott’s Rewards but am looking to move my business over to SPG, can you please explain what kind of upgrades you would be willing to offer?”
- SIMPLY ASK FOR UPGRADES – Upselling at the front desk is the job of the hotelier working there. They get commissions for upselling so its in their best interest to get you an upgraded room. Also don’t take what price they quote as the end-all-be-all. Negotiate!
- PULL UP HOTEL TONIGHT RATES – If you don’t have this app, get it immediately! You can then pull up the rates on Hotel Tonight for different room categories (which often are lower than the rack rates at the hotel), and kindly ask the hotel to match the rates.
- OFFER TO WRITE A GREAT REVIEW OF THE MANAGER OR EMPLOYEE ON THE SPOT – Hotels rely heavily on Tripadvisor reviews. Every review counts too. Leverage your ability to review and get an upgrade out of it! At the very lease you’ll get great service.
Hope these all help you get better room upgrades and improve your hotel experiences for future stays!